Wednesday, September 10, 2014

2 out of 3 Ain't Bad

Well the last 6 weeks has flown by in a little bit of a whirl that seemed to drag on forever. Oxymoronic I know, however it should make more sense in a minute.

After finishing up as a full-time paramedic in Horsham at the start of July I moved into my van in order to save some money before heading off to Germany and North America. The next two months consisted of a trip to Nowra in NSW and multiple short stints in Melbourne. I also managed to secure a month of casual “work” in Stawell for all of August. While this helped make the bank account look a little healthier for the trip, it simultaneously made it feel I was never going to leave. In the end I became complacent and although tickets were booked I took a long time to getting around to things like cancelling contracts or getting teeth pulled, which I left, typically, to the last minute…well the last 2 days anyway.

As mentioned in my last post this winter for some reason I found it very difficult to get up anything. I would warm up well, (maybe too well?) but still numb out halfway up routes or in the middle of cruxes. I’ve now concluded winter and summer are just wastes of time for climbing in the Wimmera. Yeah sure you get the odd good day or two. My hardest routes last year were done in almost 40 degrees but it takes a lot of energy and psyche to keep pushing through when you’re sweating or that said shivering.  In the midst of this, I had several conversations with Gerd and Grug that at times got a little complicated. I.e. how much rest, types of training and nutrition and how they have affected what is happening in a real time scenario. I think my time as an Ambo, and a chilled one at that, has allowed me to simplify things to be at least for me a little easier. So I started formulating a new performance assessment tool. Fancy name for something that is really basic but I have put into practice for the last 8 weeks and found it to be helping. It is really early days though, and it something I’ve done for myself. Here it is, but if you don’t like it that cool cause I do.

2 out of 3 Ain’t Bad or the Triangle Theory

Basic premise is this;
Performance (having fun is part of this) can be broken into 3 categories that all interrelate, I’ve included some examples.

Physical Health State
-          Nutrition
-          Weight
MS paint to the Rescue Injuires

-          Sleep
-          Skin
-     Injuries

2.       Mental Health State
-          Psyche
-          Stress
-          Fatigue
-          Motivations
-          Peers

3.       Environment
-          Location
-          Crags
-          Climbing Partners
-          Weather

As I said these are very simplistic but this is the key, they are like post-it notes that you can remind you of the details later. So now imagine that each of the three categories is a point of an equilateral triangle, and the inside of the triangle represents your best current performance potential, as in right now.
Cool, you got it now right? Well I’ll continue if you’re a little slow. So if you were to say feel totally psyched and come of a couple of months of training but the next week or weather looked like Ireland, then your performance triangle may  be skewed a little. See where I’m going with this slowpoke?

Here’s the beauty of it – 2 out 3 Ain’t bad. Having an equilateral triangle is far from impossible, but for most people it doesn’t make up the majority of the year. I am talking from personal experience here, so if you are a lucky S.O.B. and have a perfect threesome of arbitrary headings then you can piss in your perfect hat somewhere else. At least for me there are times when I’m tired or unpsyched or just can’t be fucked. Generally we are also anchored to our location due to work commitments or family etc, one thing that I am now in the position to have a great effect on, since resigning work.
In practice

My winter performance was less than desirable, while I could have trained on the woody more I found it difficult too due to working late hours and there being no power at the gym. On top of that with Malcolm injured and Dave J getting in early while kids were at school, it was often a solo head torch affair. That said I thought I was physical in ok shape. I was psyched when Gerd and Grug came down but after 6 weeks of being cold, wet and stressed about van conversion/job resignation/trip planning and money I lost this psyche. Performance went pear shaped. This was the first time I implemented the triangle.

What was working in my favour?
-          Physically ok
What wasn’t?
-           Environment (weather), Psyche (stress, motivation)
What could I do to most easily/quickly get 2 out 3?
-          Go somewhere warmer.

 So I went up to Nowra in NSW where the sun was shining and the crags offered accessible routes close to the car. After a severe case of mild man flu and a few days of more moves in a day than a month in the Grampians, I was able to get my bum up Beefmeister 32 at Rosie’s.  The send was one of the best moments I have had in a while. I had tried this route a couple of years ago, and made a trip up last winter to do it but got totally shut down for the 2 days I was on it. Initially it felt pretty hard but I put that down to the cold I had. I ended up resting several days out of my week that I was there, and extended my trip by half a day. 

The send came on the last day I could possibly stay before driving 12 hours back to Stawell for work the next morning. The sun was all over the wall and I felt a little bit of last day pressure. I didn’t want to make that drive south without having climbed anything again. However while nervous the triangle told me that not only I was psyched to be there, that physically I was in good condition and conditions weren’t all that bad either. While the route was in the sun, the crucial sloper still had some shade on it. I had 2/3 of my triangle working for me and the 3rd wasn’t far off. Set up and walked it. Felt so good. Pressure or no I just had a shit ton of fun and the drive to work for a 7am start didn’t even phase me.  So Rad.

Middle of Crux Sequence of Beefmeister 32

So, if you are like me in the past, and get bogged down on specifics, like how many pullups you should do in a session to do particular problem or how many heads of broccoli you should allow yourself to eat before cragging the next day, then this system could help you.

Give it a go and let me know what you think. Remember it is just a simple tool to help identify the easiest thing to work on.



Peace out Bitches

No comments:

Post a Comment